What is special about this training?
SoLT is an innovative training program where you can experience what sociocracy feels like by doing it. SoLT (Sociocracy Leadership Training) is our favorite training, and it prepares you to be part of a sociocratic organization.
How it works
SoLT consists of 11 two-hour meetings over the course of 12 weeks:
- Whole group meetings -- Participants get to know each other, receive instruction, practice and monitor the progress of the class.
- Circle meetings -- SoFA assembles 5-6 learners into a circle. They meet using the sociocratic process to work on a shared project, for example by interviewing and writing up case studies about a sociocratic organization. An experienced trainer is present at every meeting to support the process, provide resources and connections.
- Reflection sessions -- questions and answers in small groups where you can ask questions that come up in your context.
- Each participant is expected to work on their circle's project (about 1 hour per week) and to engage with content about sociocracy (about 1 hour per week). Participants might choose to hold additional meetings to work on their project.
This is an online sociocracy class, i.e. all the meetings and training happen online in video conferences . You can join from wherever you are. The participants are typically from all over the world.
How much it costs
Sociocracy For All is committed to affordability. We understand that the same dollar amount can mean very different value depending on your country of residence, your income, class and your family situation.
We offer SoLT on a sliding scale: $220-440. The "standard price" is $440. We ask organizations and individuals who can to pay on the higher end so we can give out scholarships.
No one is turned away for lack of funds, and we determine the price for the training together with you in our online interview. Although we do have some flexibility, we expect everyone to stretch just enough to make this training viable for everyone.
- English as a spoken language -- you need to be comfortable enough to participate in a meeting.
- A good enough internet connection and equipment to participate in a video conference call. We use Zoom. Zoom can work on tablets and smartphones, but for regular meetings, the larger laptop or computer screen (or even two screens) is better so you can see each other on Zoom and also see the agenda or other documents the circle is working on in a separate window during the call.
- This is an intermediate program so we assume that you have some knowledge about sociocracy. If that is a concern, we can point you to good materials to study before SoLT starts. SoFA's 6-session video-led curriculum for the study groups we call Empowered Learning Circles is a good preparation for participating in SoLT.
How to apply
- Ready to apply for SoLT? Or just want to have a conversation to explore the possibility? Then schedule a meeting with Jerry, the SoLT coordinator: click here.
- Before you schedule with Jerry, review the meeting dates of the SoLT programs (see below).
- In that video call, you and Jerry will talk about your interests, experience, and availability so we can place you in one of the working circles. You and Jerry together will also determine your fee for your participation.
- You will then fill out a registration form. When we receive your deposit of $30, we reserve your spot in SoLT. We expect your full payment 2 weeks before SoLT begins.
- Before the program starts you will get access to the SoLT program files in Google Drive and the Zoom video conference software we use. Prepare to get to know some amazing people!
Why SoLT is an extraordinary experience
SoLT is real. Participants have real meetings, real policy, real output, real relationships. The best thing is that you work together to create new content for others. A win-win-win for everyone: you learn in meetings and in work in between meetings. You learn in your group, and in working on your circle project, you pass on new insights to the next generation of learners. The culture of Sociocracy For All is genuine, real, kind and authentic. See for yourself!
This video was made with original footage from the first round of SoLT, and it gives a wonderful expression of what SoLT feels like. We have taught SoLT seven times, we have never canceled a training. In each of them, we have been excited by the companionship of like-minded people.
The center of your attention will be your circle. You will attend meetings of your circle. Possibly, you will serve as leader or delegate of your circle for some or all of the time and attend general circle meetings during your term. In your circle meetings, you will coordinate tasks and make policy decisions together using sociocratic principles. You will select circle members for roles, and you will measure, evaluate and give feedback.
The training format is explained in this video:
When are the meetings?
See the times below for Universal Time and your time zone (your computer's time zone, to be precise).
During these times, there will be circle meetings (of your work circle), Full Circle meetings (for reflection, lecture and connection).